thumb tacks, thumb tech

Musings and rantings about...EVERYTHING.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Yahoo mapmixer

Do you know about the beta version of "map mesher" of Yahoo? To put it more correctly, it should be MapMixer. The webtool that will allow you to combine/overlay two different maps (either 2 existing Yahoo maps, OR 1 Yahoo map + 1 external sourced map) and get a hybrid (perhaps, more detailed) map. As a frequent traveler, I searched for maps quite often. I'm not really sure how MapMixer will benefit me as a map-user but the idea itself sounds really cool.

Since I'm planning to go Golden Gate Park, San Francisco tomorrow, let me see how Mapmixer can enrich this "map" experience.

1. Click the "Upload Map" tab and enter "Golden Gate Park"




















2. It then comes to a screen asking me to upload another map. So I did and uploaded this-










3. After that, click "Next" and this cute thingy appeared

















4. Then, I got this

















5. The next thing to do is to click 2 reference points in those points. First, find any Point(say Pt.A) A in YOUR map, and find another Point AA in Yahoo map, go to "Next" and you will be prompted to get Point B in YOUR map, and get Point BB in Yahoo map. Click "Submit"

















6. The result - I got an overlayed map like this

















Useful or not - I don't think so. But again, maybe I have not explored the full potential of this tool yet. Or did I do the wrong thing or anything redundant?

Hmmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home