thumb tacks, thumb tech

Musings and rantings about...EVERYTHING.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Ultra mobile PC - UMPC

I blogged about hubby wanting to get that HTC before. It was a HTC TyTNII he wanted. However, when we returned to Singapore last week, he got himself a HTC Touch. HTC TyTNII has more functions such as 3G+wi-fi and GPS that the Touch does not have, but hubby said he would not be need these functions at the moment anyway - and so he opted for the cheaper gadget that has functions such as wi-fi. The difference in price is almost SGD500! TyTNII about $1200 while the HTC Touch was about $500. I was tempted but I am still thinking if I should get a UMPC instead. Hmmm.....I don't think either the Touch or TyTNII would be blogger-friendly - well, I need to be quick and fast in incorporating photos in my blog + writing. Now, Asus Eee PC or KOHJINSHA UMPC? Asus Eee PC is about SGD$598 - almost half the price of KOHJINSHA or more than half the price of Fujitsu UMPC. The catch - the Asus Eee PC runs on Linux and not the typical Windows OS that I am used to. Thinking...thinking...thinking....

Anyway, the Asus Eee PC is out of stock from some stores based in Funan. According to store owners, Asus Eee PC usually runs out of stock two weeks after stock is replenished. Now, does this spell something good? :P

More thinking now...since I'm back in Taiwan again and won't be getting THE UMPC that I want. But I'm quite sure I want a UMPC rather than a PDA phone. A UMPC that fits into my handbag!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what makes you so sure that the TyTNII "...would be blogger-friendly." It also really depends on how mobile-friendly (XHTL, WAP) the blogging engine is. There are some really good blogging engines out there.

    In the end, it really depends whether you want a PDA or a PC. There is succinct difference between the 2 even though there have been some sort of convergence in recent years.

    While LINUX/UNIX has been making some good headways, this has been predominantly in the enterprise server space where reliability rules over user-friendliness and desktop functionality

    My personal opinion is that (and I have used both) you have to invest in a system that can make you comfortable using it and the longevity of it (whether more of the 3rd party applications, utilities, tools run better on the NIX or Windows). Or else, in the long run, it will turn out to be a white elephant.

    If you have the money (and I wished I did), I would buy a mac, specifically a MacBook Air (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/). It wont fit into your handbag but it will fit into an envelope and is probably lighter than your handbag :)

    It is well-known that Office applicatons run better on a mac that on a PC.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home