thumb tacks, thumb tech

Musings and rantings about...EVERYTHING.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Slingbox and firewall problems in hotel room

We bought our Slingbox AV, finally. We could not buy them online as we were on the move these few days and will not be able to physically receive any parcel or package. Most electronic stores such as Best Buy and Office Depot were selling at $129 vs Circuit City at $119.

This is our Slingbox revealed. Simply, can you see the 2 wires overhanging at our DirectTV receiver and LiteOn DVD ? Yes, this is how Slingbox controls the turning on and off when an infrared signal is sent via the router/modem.

It works perfect when we tested back in our apartment in California.


With the Slingbox, I can now watch my TVB dramas at DirectTV telecast even when I'm overseas. YAY! Control of my California DirectTV channels and even time my recorder to record TVB drama, all using the internet when I'm overseas. Just make sure the modem/router and the Slingbox is in the ON mode when you are overseas.








Rough assembly of my SlingBox.














I'm in a hotel now at Taichung, Taipei, looking forward to watch my shows....BUT....WHAT A BUMMER!!!! :( There seem to be some firewall in the hotel room wired internet. It seems to be blocking access to my Slingbox and can't get it to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home